Those looking to hire have a different set of challenges. Most businesses face the same obstacles, though farming does have it's unique niche characteristics. There are plenty of great business blogs with suggestions on hiring, however, when looking for niche employees try to consider a few of these great tips.
1. Look for potential within employees - it's not always going to be front and center but if there is a background of learning and hard work, things could really work well.
2. Check social media profiles - given the nature of the work and requirements this is a necessity.
3. Fit the personality with the work - does the person fit with the team and the tasks?
4. Don't be afraid to grill the person during an interview -
-Who are you going to be 10 years from today?
-Why do you work?
-What makes you get up in the morning and do what you do?
5. Capable and competent - perhaps an exercise during the interview to test their skills.