Aquaponics requires a variety of things - obviously feeding the fish is part of that process. In systems where fish are too large to simply feed off plant growth they must be fed. Smaller systems may allow for that to happen but when raising larger fish, perhaps for eating, this simply can't be sustained. Aquarium fish feed is plant or animal material intended for consumption by pet fish kept in aquariums or ponds. Fish foods normally contain macro nutrients, trace elements and vitamins necessary to keep captive fish in good health.
For other consideration look at a variety of fish:
Check out more here.
The Office of Aquaculture part of the NOAA publishes a great list of questions and answers.
- What type of food do farmed fish eat?
- Do all fish eat the same thing?
- Why use fishmeal and fish oil in the diets of farmed fish?
- Where does fishmeal and fish oil come from?
- What are forage fish used for?
- What are fishmeal and fish oil used for?
- Does aquaculture consume more wild fish than is produced?
- Doesn’t harvesting pelagic fish have a detrimental impact on the food chain and other animals that depend on them?
- What is being done to develop alternative feed ingredients?
- What are potential alternatives to feeding fish to fish?
- Can some of the waste that results from processing fish be used as fish food?
- What about arguments that farmed fish are contaminated with mercury and other heavy metals?
- Are there growth hormones in U.S. farmed fish?
- Are antibiotics fed to fish to improve growth (or for any reason other than disease)?
- Are antibiotics used at all in U.S. aquaculture?
- Are farmed salmon fed or injected with dyes?
- How many pounds of other fish are required to produce one pound of salmon?
- Why don’t we just eat fish from these pelagic fisheries (i.e. Further down the food chain)?
- Doesn’t uneaten fish food accumulate on the ocean floor and pose an environmental risk?
- Does NOAA fund research on alternative feeds?
- What are some of the constraints to reducing aquaculture’s dependence on wild fisheries?
- What are specific areas of research that will lead to decreased dependence on fishmeal and fish oil?